Job Title: Personal Caregiver Job
Location: Whitby, ON
Shift: Night Shift (11:00PM – 7:30AM) Sunday to Thursday with overtime on Friday
Bayshore is growing and we are seeking Personal Caregivers who are looking for flexible hours. We offer casual home and community care jobs. Personal Support Worker (PSW) or Health Care Aide (HCA) Certificate is welcome but not required.
Available locations: Whitby, ON
Bayshore is seeking a dedicated Personal Caregiver to join our amazing team as we continue our 50+ year tradition of providing high-quality care to our community. As a trusted partner, Bayshore is working to respond and provide much needed services to its clients and communities across Canada. As a Personal Caregiver, we offer you the chance to make a difference and do meaningful work within the settings and schedules that match your needs and interests.
The Work You Will Do
As a Personal Caregiver, you will provide high-quality and compassionate care to your clients one on one in client’s private home, exceptional customer service. Some tasks can include personal care and activities of daily living. Homemaking services such as cleaning, cooking, laundry and general household management. Companionship and/or accompanying clients to activities and events in the community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide homemaking services including, but not limited to cleaning, cooking, laundry and general household management.
- Provide companionship and/or accompany clients to activities and events in the community.
- Provide personal care service according to directions on the care plan
- Ensures that the emotional, spiritual, physical comfort and safety of clients are met to the greatest possible extent
- Provide assistance with client specific activities of daily living (personal assistance tasks)
- Perform specialized, client specific procedures for which recognized training and current competency can be demonstrated.
- Observe and document client conditions according to company standards; report unusual events or changes in the client’s condition to the immediate Supervisor or to the Office
- Understands and implements infection prevention practices.
- Participate in ongoing internal and/or external continuing education activities
- Adhere to Bayshore Policies and Procedures.
- Participate in quality activities and continuous improvement initiatives in keeping with the company’s Quality Management System
- Participates in proactive Health & Safety activities while performing all duties. Is responsible to notify immediate Supervisor of any Health & Safety risks or concerns.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and corporate information and discusses same only with appropriate Bayshore personnel
- Complete other tasks as requested
You have a desire to help improve the lives of those in your community
You are dedicated to providing high-quality care services to clients and you have knowledge of practices for community care
You have a reliable mode of transportation
You have a clear Vulnerable Sector Check or are willing to get one
If you are seeking a Personal Care role you have completed a formal, accredited caregiver training program and/or a combination of equivalent education and experience
Medical exemptions or any other kinds of requested exemptions based upon Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Bayshore operates in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and applicable Provincial Human Rights Codes.
Who You Are
- You have a desire to help improve the lives of those in your community
- You are dedicated to providing high-quality care services to clients and you have knowledge of practices for community care
- You have a reliable mode of transportation
- You have a clear Vulnerable Sector Check or are willing to get one
- You are seeking a Personal Care role, you have completed a formal, accredited caregiver training program and/or a combination of equivalent education and experience
What skills and qualities are important for a Entry Level Caregiver?
For an Entry Level Caregiver, who is just starting in the field of caregiving and providing support to individuals who need assistance with their daily living activities, certain skills and qualities are essential to excel in the role. Here are some important skills and qualities for an Entry Level Caregiver:
- Compassion and Empathy: Caregivers should genuinely care about the well-being of the individuals they support and demonstrate empathy and compassion in their interactions.
- Patience: Some individuals may require more time and assistance with tasks due to age, illness, or disability. Patience is crucial in providing care and support without rushing or becoming frustrated.
- Effective Communication: Good communication skills are essential for understanding the needs of the individuals, expressing care and empathy, and collaborating with other caregivers, healthcare professionals, and family members.
- Basic Personal Care Skills: Entry Level Caregivers should have basic personal care skills, such as assisting with bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, and eating.
- Observational Skills: Being observant and attentive to changes in the individual’s condition or behavior is crucial for detecting any health or emotional issues that may arise.
Entry Level Caregivers play a vital role in providing compassionate care and support to those in need. Possessing these skills and qualities helps ensure the well-being and quality of life of the individuals under their care while establishing a strong foundation for growth and advancement in the caregiving profession.
What education and certification are required to become a Entry Level Caregiver?
The educational requirements for becoming an Entry Level Caregiver are generally minimal, as many positions do not require formal education beyond a high school diploma or equivalent. However, some employers may prefer candidates with additional training or certifications to demonstrate their commitment and readiness for the role. Here are some common educational pathways and certifications for becoming an Entry Level Caregiver:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent: Most Entry Level Caregiver positions require a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate as the minimum educational requirement.
- Caregiver Training Programs: Many organizations or healthcare agencies offer caregiver training programs that cover essential topics such as personal care skills, communication, safety, and basic medical knowledge. Completing these programs can provide valuable skills and enhance your qualifications.
- First Aid and CPR Certification: Having a valid First Aid and CPR certification is highly recommended for caregivers. This certification ensures you are prepared to handle emergencies and provide immediate assistance if needed.
- Home Health Aide (HHA) Certification: Some Entry Level Caregivers may choose to pursue a Home Health Aide certification. This certification typically involves additional training in providing personal care and assistance to individuals in their homes.
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Training: While not always required for Entry Level Caregiver positions, becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) can provide a more comprehensive education and skillset. CNA training programs typically include both classroom instruction and hands-on clinical experience.
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Online: Apply On Company WebSite
What is the work environment like for Entry Level Caregiver?
The work environment for an Entry Level Caregiver can vary depending on the specific setting in which they provide care. Entry Level Caregivers typically work in various healthcare and non-healthcare settings, supporting individuals who need assistance with their daily living activities.