Full Job Description
On May 5, 2021, Toronto City Council approved the creation of the Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation (“TSHC”) to provide seniors with safe, well-maintained homes and improved living conditions, services and experiences. TSHC will interact with and support senior tenants in new ways, with the goal of ensuring seniors can age in place with dignity and in comfort. On June 1, 2022, all 83 Toronto Community Housing Corporation (“TCHC”) seniors’ buildings transitioned to be managed by the new Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation. The new corporation will continue to be focused on meeting the needs of senior tenants through the Integrated Service Model.
TCHC will continue to own the buildings and be responsible for major capital. TSHC will lease the buildings from TCHC and be responsible for minor capital and maintenance. TSHC will be entering into agreements for shared services where appropriate with TCHC and TSHC will be focused on tenant facing issues, including health and social supports.
Please be advised that this opportunity is for Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation and not Toronto Community Housing.
In addition to a great job opportunity to help Toronto’s Seniors live with dignity and safety, Toronto Seniors Housing offers:
An opportunity to build your career and grow with the newly created Toronto Seniors Housing!
- Competitive Benefit Package
- Defined Benefit Pension plan with 100% employee matching
- Three weeks paid vacation and four personal days
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Fitness Membership discount
- Annual Tuition Reimbursement
Please Note: An Eligibility List will be created from this competition for any future Cleaner positions that may become available.
Reporting to the Community Housing Supervisor, the Cleaner is responsible for cleaning and maintenance duties in assigned work location(s) in accordance with policies, procedures, applicable legislation and standards set by the Toronto Seniors Housing. You will work closely as a team member to provide excellent customer service to our tenants.
- Assists Regional staff with overall building cleaning and provides a safe environment for tenants, staff and the general public
- Cleans and maintains exterior grounds and all internal common areas of assigned work locations
- Cleans vacant units
- Responds and provides information to inquiries from tenants, staff and the general public according to Toronto Seniors Housing policies and directs inquiries to appropriate personnel in a courteous manner
- Operates a variety of cleaning, maintenance and communication equipment
- Works as a team and responds to emergency situations within their assigned work location in accordance with Toronto Community Housing policies, procedures, guidelines and applicable legislation
- Adheres to all safety guidelines in accordance with the Ontario Occupational Health & Safety Act. Uses safety equipment and protective clothing as required
- Attends and takes part in meetings and training sessions
- May be required to work shifts at night and on weekends
- Performs related work as assigned
- Knowledge and understanding of the systemic challenges faced by seniors of Toronto Seniors Housing and aging in place
- Demonstrated ability to operate janitorial equipment
- Experience in cleaning or janitorial work
- The ability to operate manual and power tools and equipment would be an asset
- Sufficient command of the English language, oral and written, to carry out instructions
- Ability to provide respectful service to tenants, staff and visitors in a multicultural environment
- Ability to work in a safe and responsible manner
- Working knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act including WHMIS
- Ability to perform heavy lifting and work outside as required
- Experience in building maintenance & repair an asset
- Company pension
- Weekend availability
- One location
How To Apply
- Apply Below