Full Job Description
Permanent Machine Operator
Enjoying physical labour and working outdoors as well as being safety-minded are vital to a career in rail operations at CN. If you like being part of a team and working in different locations every day, a rewarding career in track maintenance will appeal to you. Working on a crew, you’ll be part of an ever-changing, safety-first work environment that ensures our infrastructure is safe, sound and train-ready. At CN, the careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Permanent Machine Operator is responsible for operating and servicing all work equipment machines for which qualification is held, on the assigned territory. The incumbent performs other duties, as may be required, notwithstanding that such duties may be normally performed by Track Employees, such as inspecting, repairing, and replacing rails, ties, switches, and ballast.
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.
Upon hiring, the incumbent attends formal and on-the-job training. The position is required to complete the training program successfully in order to work as a Permanent Machine Operator.
This position is a unionized position. As such, pay and benefits are governed by the applicable collective agreement.
- Operate on- and off-track heavy equipment to support track repair and maintenance activities such as:
- Remove and replace defective ties, rails spikes, and anchors
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment, and gauge
- Install and repair street and railroad crossings
- Distribute track material
- Clear brush, vegetation, snow, and litter from railroad right-of-way
- Establish and maintain drainage
- Inspect and maintain heavy equipment
- Perform other duties as may be assigned when work does not require machine operation, including track inspection and other track maintenance duties
- Comply with track safety standards, operating rules, and safe work procedures
- Must be available to work shift work and occasional overtime
- The role may be required to work outside the assigned headquarters location from time to time
- Ability to perform physical work outdoors in various types of weather and environmental conditions
- Must be able to perform repetitive physical activities during the course of a shift
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds (22 kg) and up to 70 pounds (32 kg) occasionally
- Must be able to supply basic personal tools for equipment maintenance
- The incumbent is headquartered out of (name of locations) and starts work at this location
- The role may be required to report to another location occasionally or work away from home
- When required to work away from headquarters, the incumbent is compensated for travel and other expense according to the collective agreement
- Must have good eye-hand coordination and grasping ability
- High School diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Collaborates with others and shares information
- Demonstrates active listening
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions*
- Postsecondary trade education*
- Experience in or training in mechanical*
- Knowledge of signals or Rail Operating Rules*
- Any experience/education/skills/knowledge for these above would be considered as an asset