As an integral member of Security Services, the principal responsibilities of the Security Guard will include: providing continuous internal and external random patrol of Hospital property ensuring Hospital policies and procedures are adhered; contributing to and facilitating in the provision of a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors which support the mission, goals and vision of St. Joseph’s Health Centre in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations. The Security Guard is also involved in investigating all forms of property loss, theft and damage; responding to emergency codes and calls for assistance following established departmental and Hospital policy, enforcing Hospital parking regulations to maintain order; performing cross functional duties as assigned and/or requested.
- Graduate of a security administration/law enforcement program or a combination of ongoing studies and related equivalent experience.
- Must possess a valid Private Security License in accordance with the Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005.
- Must have completed IAHSS (International Association of Healthcare Security and Safety) basic and advanced level of certification within 6 months of hire.
- Must pass the hospital’s approved training program for use of force, handcuffing, and defensive batons within 6 months of hire.
- Completion of a Crisis Intervention certificate preferred
- Certification in Legal Awareness and Use of Force, Tactical Communications preferred
- Two years experience as a Public Security Guard (preferably in a Hospital setting).
- Excellent problem recognition skills and ability to proactively achieve resolutions both through direction and negotiation.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Federal and Provincial statutes
- Must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent judgment and demonstrate tact and diplomacy skills in emergency situations
- Must have a good employee record
- Satisfactory attendance record.
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. Please note, if you are extended an offer of employment, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination in Ontario QR Code format. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.