Location: Ottawa, ON
Salary: $17–$18 an hour
Job type: Full Time , Part time
Shift/Hours: Morning, night, overnight
Synergy Protection Group Inc. is looking for an honest and professional individual to join our team. This is an opportunity to interact with people daily and take pride in keeping them and our building safe and secure. The on-duty Security personnel is often the first person that people come into contact with as they begin their workday or visit of our facility. We’re looking for someone with a friendly attitude who can represent our organization well while focusing on its security.
- Investigates security breaches, incidents, and other alarming behavior
- Completes reports by recording observations, information, occurrences, and surveillance activities
- Patrolling and monitoring designated areas
- Interacting with the public with a customer service approach to security
- Enforcing the Trespass to Property Act.
- Escalating and assisting law enforcement as required
- Completing incident reports and required documentation for all security incidents
- A valid Ontario security license
- Use of forced trained tactical guard
- Prior security experience is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Can stay alert at all times
- Ability to respond well to emergency situations
- Why become a part of Synergy family?
We are a people/client-centric security agency. Synergy is redefining the security industry for the 21st century. Delivering uncompromising and guaranteed services augmented with innovative technology that monitors deployment in real-time 24/7 while offering completely transparency and accountability. We believe there is more to good business than just good service. Our philosophy is simple: be a good corporate citizen while enhancing our industry and following the triple bottom line business model.
Perks we offer:
- We are all about our people and we show it!
- Competitive pay and comprehensive benefits
- Extended benefits after completion of 1 year of employment
- Provide free training such as Use of force, Non-violent crisis intervention, Mental Health First Aid, Report writing etc.
- Responsive management team
- Accommodate to your flexible schedules
- Continuous coaching and support
- Promote diversity through employee engagement
- Provide growth and development opportunities
Synergy Protection Group Inc. values diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the interview process.
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- RRSP match
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Overtime pay
- Ability to commute/relocate:
Ottawa, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Security: 1 year (preferred)
- Security Guard Licence (required)
- Use of Force Certificate (required)
- Night Shift (required)
Work Location: In person
What skills and qualities are important for a Synergy Protection Group Inc.?
For a Synergy Protection Group Inc. or any private security company, there are several important skills and qualities that are typically valued. Here are some key ones:
- Security Expertise: A deep understanding of security principles, practices, and techniques is essential. This includes knowledge of threat assessment, risk management, access control, surveillance, emergency response, and physical security measures.
- Professionalism: Displaying a high level of professionalism is crucial. This includes maintaining a neat appearance, adhering to ethical standards, and demonstrating a respectful and courteous attitude towards clients, colleagues, and the public.
- Communication Skills: Effective communication is vital for security personnel. They should be able to clearly and concisely convey information, both verbally and in writing, and actively listen to instructions and concerns. Strong interpersonal skills are also important for building rapport with clients and collaborating with team members.
- Situational Awareness: Being observant and attentive to one’s surroundings is a critical skill for security personnel. They need to identify potential risks, detect suspicious behavior, and respond swiftly and appropriately to emerging situations.
- Physical Fitness: Private security roles often require physical fitness and stamina. Security professionals may need to patrol large areas, stand for long periods, or respond to physical altercations. Maintaining a good level of physical fitness helps ensure they can perform their duties effectively.
- Problem-Solving Abilities: Security personnel must be capable of analyzing situations, making quick decisions, and resolving conflicts or emergencies calmly and efficiently. Strong problem-solving skills enable them to adapt to changing circumstances and implement effective strategies.
- Attention to Detail: Security professionals need to be meticulous in their work, paying close attention to even the smallest details. This includes accurately documenting incidents, following protocols, and conducting thorough inspections of premises and equipment.
- Integrity and Trustworthiness: The private security industry requires individuals who are honest, trustworthy, and possess a strong sense of integrity. Security personnel often handle sensitive information and have access to secure areas, so they must be reliable and maintain confidentiality.
- Technical Competence: In today’s digital age, security professionals may need to utilize various technological tools and systems. Familiarity with security equipment such as surveillance cameras, alarms, and access control systems is beneficial. Additionally, proficiency in relevant software and communication systems can be advantageous.
- Conflict Resolution: Security personnel should possess conflict resolution skills to handle tense situations calmly and effectively. They should be able to de-escalate confrontations, mediate disputes, and diffuse potentially volatile scenarios.
It’s worth noting that specific requirements and desired qualities may vary depending on the nature of the assignments, client expectations, and local regulations.
What education and certification are required to become a Synergy Protection Group Inc.?
The specific education and certification requirements to become a security professional at Synergy Protection Group Inc. may vary depending on the position and jurisdiction. However, here are some common educational backgrounds and certifications that are often valued in the private security industry:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent: A high school diploma or its equivalent is typically the minimum educational requirement for entry-level security positions. However, some positions, especially those with specialized responsibilities, may prefer candidates with higher levels of education.
- Post-Secondary Education: While not always mandatory, having a degree or post-secondary education in a related field can be beneficial. Degrees in criminal justice, security management, law enforcement, or a related discipline provide a strong foundation of knowledge and may give candidates a competitive edge.
- Security Training Courses: Many security companies, including Synergy Protection Group Inc., require applicants to complete security training courses. These courses cover various aspects of security, such as security procedures, crisis management, first aid, legal aspects of security, and conflict resolution. These courses are typically provided by recognized training institutions or security organizations.
- Security Licenses and Certifications: Depending on the jurisdiction and the specific role, security personnel may be required to obtain licenses or certifications. These certifications demonstrate a certain level of competency and knowledge in the field of security.
Common certifications include:
- Security Guard License: This license is often required for individuals working as security guards and ensures that they have met the regulatory requirements set by the local governing body.
- First Aid and CPR Certification: Having a valid certification in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is highly valuable as it equips security personnel with the skills to respond to medical emergencies effectively.
- Crowd Control Certification: For positions involving crowd management and event security, a crowd control certification may be required. This certification focuses on techniques for handling large crowds, maintaining order, and ensuring public safety during events.
- Firearm License (if applicable): In some jurisdictions, armed security personnel may be required to obtain a firearm license or permit. This involves additional training and background checks specific to the use of firearms in a security capacity.
It’s important to note that the specific requirements can vary depending on the location, type of security work, and local regulations. It’s recommended to check with Synergy Protection Group Inc. or the relevant regulatory authorities in your area to determine the specific education and certification requirements for the position you are interested in.
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Online: Apply On Company WebSite
What is the work environment like for Synergy Protection Group Inc.?
The work environment at Synergy Protection Group Inc. can vary depending on the specific assignments and client needs. However, here are some general aspects of the work environment you can expect:
- Varied Locations: Synergy Protection Group Inc. operates in diverse environments, including corporate offices, residential complexes, retail stores, event venues, construction sites, and more. Security personnel may be assigned to different locations based on client contracts and specific security requirements.
- Shift Work: Security operations often require round-the-clock coverage, so security personnel may work in shifts that cover day, evening, night, and weekend hours. This allows for continuous security presence and ensures that the client’s premises are protected at all times.
- Outdoor and Indoor Settings: Depending on the assignment, security personnel may work outdoors, patrolling premises, monitoring access points, or conducting surveillance. They may also work indoors, monitoring CCTV cameras, controlling access, or providing customer service in corporate or retail settings.
- Team Collaboration: Synergy Protection Group Inc. emphasizes teamwork and collaboration among its security personnel. Security professionals may work alongside colleagues, supervisors, and other team members to ensure coordinated security measures and effective response to incidents or emergencies.
- Client Interaction: Depending on the assignment, security personnel may have direct interaction with clients, employees, visitors, and the public. This can involve providing directions, answering inquiries, assisting with access control, and ensuring a positive and safe environment.
- Fast-Paced and Dynamic: The security industry often presents dynamic and unpredictable situations. Security personnel must be prepared to adapt quickly to changing circumstances, handle emergencies, and respond to incidents in a calm and efficient manner.
- Physical Demands: Depending on the specific role, security work can involve physical demands. This may include standing or walking for extended periods, conducting patrols, restraining individuals if necessary, or responding to physical altercations. Maintaining a good level of physical fitness is important for meeting these demands.
- Safety Focus: Synergy Protection Group Inc. places a high priority on safety, both for its clients and its personnel. Security professionals are expected to follow safety protocols, use personal protective equipment when necessary, and be vigilant in identifying and addressing potential hazards.
It’s important to note that the work environment may vary based on specific assignments, client requirements, and the type of security services provided. Synergy Protection Group Inc. aims to create a professional and supportive work environment that prioritizes security, client satisfaction, and the well-being of its personnel.