Huronview and Huronlea are sister Homes in the County of Huron. These municipal homes provide health services for those who can no longer live independently in their own homes and require nursing and personal care 24 hours a day. Our mission is to provide quality, compassionate care in a homelike environment while our vision is to foster a caring environment with the open possibilities of life’s continued journey. The teamwork at the Homes for the Aged is cohesive, and collaborative approach where various healthcare professionals with diverse knowledge, skills and talents come together to achieve the goals based on the health needs and preferences of the residents who reside at the Homes
As a member of the Resident Care department, the Van Driver has the responsibility for the safe and timely transportation of residents to medical appointments and also participates in various other assignments associated with achieving the goals and objectives of the department in providing quality service and teamwork.
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron, we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion. We offer our staff competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Role and Responsibilities:
- Is aware of the Resident Bill of Rights and endeavours to respect and promote it.
- Transports residents to and from medical appointments in the local community or surrounding area as required, organizing the trips to allow for ample time for the appointments to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Is prepared to take emergency precautions such as first aid or contacting 911 should the resident’s condition change while in his/her care.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the resident as a whole person considering cultural, spiritual, psychosocial, and restorative needs.
- Observes and report verbally or in documentation significant changes in the resident’s physical and emotional conditions to the Registered Staff in a manner that demonstrates respect and maintains privacy and confidentiality for each resident (documentation can include observations in behaviours, staff interventions and resident response to those interventions).
- Assists the maintenance department with the van by arranging for regular maintenance of the vehicle as per the policy, and regular cleaning of the van (using MaintenanceCare.com).
- Shares responsibility for safely using and maintaining the equipment and supplies of the Home, and the personal belongings of the residents eg cell phones, wheelchairs, walkers etc.
- Ensures efficient use of supplies.
- Accepts responsibility for the quality of care and service provided.
- Recognizes safety hazards and the importance of providing a safe environment by conducting a safety check of the vehicle before each trip for lights, brakes, lifting device, First Aid Kit and cell phone.
- Maintains a good attendance record and accepts responsibility for working as scheduled.
- Takes responsibility for personal development including identification of own learning needs related to work and participating in the educational opportunities provided.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Class G driver’s license required and presentation of a photocopy of such annually, two (2) months prior to his/her birthday to ensure that the license is current.
- Proof of a safe driving record.
- Knowledge of safe and defensive driving techniques
- Must be able to work flexible hours
- Excellent time management skills and ability to follow directions and adhere to schedule
- CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Experience working with seniors and/or chronic care residents in a health care facility or community setting, with a genuine interest in and concern for seniors.
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing
- A condition of employment is proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- $24.10-$27.19 as per SEIU Collective Agreement
Please forward your letter of application and resume to humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca. This position will remain posted until filled.
To be considered for this position, please ensure that
- Email subject is “2023 – Van Driver, and name of preferred Home”
- The cover letter is a maximum of one page
- Cover letter and resume are saved together in one PDF file
- The PDF file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. Jane Smith)
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles. At the County of Huron, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace.