Job Title: Farm Worker
Location: 9311 Trans Canada Highway, Mount Albion, PE
Shift: Morning, Night, Overnight
Wage: $13- $25 per hour
Vanco Farms Ltd. specializes in growing specialty potatoes, organic potatoes, premium cut tulips, and tulip bulbs. The farm is family owned and operated, and we proudly grow our products in the signature red soil of Prince Edward Island.We are currently looking for Farm Worker’s here in our Mount Albion plant to work in our processing facility.
- The Farm Worker is part of the warehouse facility processing team that is grading, processing and packaging potatoes
- Worker to comply with legislation and regulatory standards when performing on-the-farm activities as directed
- Follow standard operating procedures
- Follow processes and procedures with respect to health and safety standards to minimize risk in the workplace
- Comply with protocols for food safety
- Follow procedures for grading potatoes and/or tulips – inspect potatoes and/or tulips as they pass through
- inspection table, discard of infected or damaged product and foreign material
- Pack potatoes and/or bunch tulips according to customer specifications
- Assist with maintenance of equipment and facilities
- Other farm duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities
- Good manual dexterity, ability to work quickly with your hands
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks with efficiency and accuracy
- Capable of standing for long periods of time and working on your feet
- Lifting objects up to 30 lbs in weight
- Ability to work with limited supervision, be a self-starter, proactive and a team player
- No education requirements
- Experience is an asset
Starting wage is $13- $25 per hour depending on the experience. Hours of work are dependent on customer orders,
flexibility to workdays and hours as well as evenings and Saturdays would be required.
What you will be doing:
- Seedling care including seeding, watering, potting up, fertilizing
- Garden bed preparation such as broadforking, hauling compost
- Transplanting by hand
- Harvest in the field and in greenhouses
- Wash and pack produce for sale on site or bulk deliveries
- Deliver produce to Fresh City warehouse
- Site maintenance such as lawn mowing, weed-wacking, and general upkeep
- Irrigation management for field crops
- Assist with building projects and farm infrastructure set up
- Interact with the public on a frequent basis due to the nature of our farm being in a public park.
What you will bring to the table:
- Farming experience an asset, preferably in a production-focused operation
- Labour, service, restaurant work experience an asset
- Motivation to work hard and increase efficiency at the farm
- Strong teamwork and communication skills – ability to give and receive direction and criticism on the fly
- Ability to work independently for long periods of time
- Positive attitude even in the face of challenges
- Attention to detail, quick worker, and fast learner
- Physically fit and willing to work outside in all weather conditions including rain, cold, and heat
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with people of different ages, genders, abilities, cultural backgrounds, and individuals who experience marginalization
- Valid G driver’s license is an asset
- Experience with carpentry, irrigation and farm equipment is considered an asset.
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Online: Apply On Company WebSite