Full Job Description
Fresh City is an award-winning urban farm and omni-channel retailer. Founder-led, we’re on a mission to help people better the world through their food choices. More than one decade after we first began, our belief in that is even stronger. Every day, we deliver organic produce, chef-inspired and made from scratch prepared foods, bespoke meats and more to thousands of Greater Toronto Area families. We also farm in Downsview Park, where we also operate a farmer incubator program.
In 2018, Fresh City acquired Mabel’s Bakery, a popular bakery in Toronto producing artisan breads and pastries, and shortly after acquired The Healthy Butcher, a pioneer in organic and 100% Grassfed beef, in 2019. In 2022, subscription-based organic produce and grocery delivery company Mama Earth Organics was added to the lineup of brands making Fresh City the largest organic online retailer in Ontario.
With five retail locations and home delivery across the GTA between our four brands, the Fresh City family of brands continues to bring farmers, makers and eaters together to deliver a food experience that respects our bodies, our planet, and our shared tomorrow.
Food is our passion. We proudly employ over 300 employees across our four brands including our farm, our two warehouses, our food production facilities, our offices and our retail locations. We’re continuously advancing our culture of belonging, where everyone feels seen, heard, valued and free to be their authentic selves.
Fresh City is in search of an enthusiastic and passionate individual to join our team as a full-time, seasonal farmer. The candidate is expected to work with the farm team on all aspects of small-scale organic vegetable production, such as planting, harvesting, weeding, seeding, greenhouse management and crop maintenance. Experience in farm work is not essential, but is a major asset. Fresh City will provide on the job training and education as necessary. We hope to find an individual that is a fast learner, hard worker, and has a positive attitude. Efficiency, speed, and stamina are must-haves when it comes to working and running a small farm. Any work experience in other labour or service positions is relevant. Our farm has a small team and all employees are an integral part of making the season a success.
The position is considered full-time, seasonal. Start date is April 1, 2023 and the position will end November 15, 2023. Fresh City also runs a warehouse, grocery delivery service, professional kitchen and bakery, and several retail locations, so winter work will potentially be available for the correct candidate if they are interested. As part of our long-term employment strategy, successful farm employees will be encouraged to return the following growing season to develop their skills further and pursue a farming career with Fresh City.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Fresh City is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We consider all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, and Indigenous status. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.
We are hiring a Farmer at our Downsview Park location!
What’s in it for you!
- Food Discounts across Fresh City, Mama Earth, The Healthy Butcher & Mabel’s Bakery
- You’ll be putting more food dollars into local farms so they can continue to grow the most nutritious and delicious produce while preserving farmland and biodiversity in Ontario.
- You’ll be supporting the creation of a local food system, built on principles of sustainability and biodiversity, and demonstrating that this can be both financially sustainable for farmers and affordable for consumers
- You’ll be joining a thriving business driven by an experienced leadership team who have built successful businesses
- You’ll be joining a team of talented, fun people who take pride in supporting the Local Food System
What you will be doing:
- Seedling care including seeding, watering, potting up, fertilizing
- Garden bed preparation such as broadforking, hauling compost
- Transplanting by hand
- Harvest in the field and in greenhouses
- Wash and pack produce for sale on site or bulk deliveries
- Deliver produce to Fresh City warehouse
- Site maintenance such as lawn mowing, weed-wacking, and general upkeep
- Irrigation management for field crops
- Assist with building projects and farm infrastructure set up
- Interact with the public on a frequent basis due to the nature of our farm being in a public park.
What you will bring to the table:
- Farming experience an asset, preferably in a production-focused operation
- Labour, service, restaurant work experience an asset
- Motivation to work hard and increase efficiency at the farm
- Strong teamwork and communication skills – ability to give and receive direction and criticism on the fly
- Ability to work independently for long periods of time
- Positive attitude even in the face of challenges
- Attention to detail, quick worker, and fast learner
- Physically fit and willing to work outside in all weather conditions including rain, cold, and heat
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with people of different ages, genders, abilities, cultural backgrounds, and individuals who experience marginalization
- Valid G driver’s license is an asset
- Experience with carpentry, irrigation and farm equipment is considered an asset.
Things you should know:
- Employment Status: Full-Time Seasonal
- Compensation: $18.00/ hour
- Schedule: 8am – 4pm 37.5 hours/ week, some longer days, weekend work occasionally