Job Title: Web developer
Location: 11025 – 26 Avenue NWEdmonton, ABT6J 5V3
Shift: Morning, Night, Overnight
- Consult with clients to develop and document Website requirements
- Develop Website architecture and determine hardware and software requirements
- Source, select and organize information for inclusion and design the appearance, layout and flow of the Website
- Create and optimize content for Website using a variety of graphics, database, animation and other software
- Research and evaluate a variety of interactive media software products
- Lead and co-ordinate multidisciplinary teams to develop Website graphics, content, capacity and interactivity
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- Plan, design, write, modify, integrate and test Web-site related code
- Consult with clients after sale to provide ongoing support
- Write, modify, integrate and test software code
- Identify and communicate technical problems, processes and solutions
- Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software
- Assist in the collection and documentation of user’s requirements
- Assist in the development of logical and physical specifications
- Research and evaluate a variety of software products
- Maintain existing computer programs by making modifications as required
- Write, modify, integrate and test software code for e-commerce and other Internet applications
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- HTML editing software
- VB Script
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- MS Excel
- XML Technology (XSL,XSD,DTD)
- 2 years to less than 3 years
- Relocation costs covered by employer
- Willing to relocate
- Consulting firm
Security and safety
Criminal record check
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Work under pressure
- Tight deadlines
- Repetitive tasks
- Attention to detail
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Team player
- Free parking available
- Team building opportunities
- Parking available
What skills and qualities are important for a Web developer?
Web developers play a crucial role in designing, building, and maintaining websites and web applications. To be successful in this field, a web developer should possess a combination of technical skills and soft skills. Here are key skills and qualities important for a web developer:
- Experience with front-end frameworks and libraries such as React, Angular, or Vue.js.
- Knowledge of responsive design for creating user-friendly interfaces across various devices.
- Understanding of back-end development using server-side languages like Node.js, Python, Ruby on Rails, or PHP.
- Familiarity with database management systems (e.g., MySQL, MongoDB).
- Proficient use of version control systems, particularly Git, for tracking changes and collaborating with other developers.
Web Development Tools:
- Knowledge of web development tools and frameworks, including build tools (e.g., Webpack), package managers (e.g., npm), and task runners.
APIs (Application Programming Interfaces):
- Ability to work with APIs to integrate data and functionality from external sources into web applications.
- Understanding of web security principles and best practices to create secure applications, including data encryption and protection against common security threats.
Browser Developer Tools:
- Proficiency in using browser developer tools for debugging and optimizing web applications.
- Strong problem-solving skills to troubleshoot issues and find effective solutions, both independently and collaboratively.
Attention to Detail:
- Meticulous attention to detail to ensure the accuracy of code, design, and functionality.
- Creative thinking to design visually appealing and user-friendly interfaces and find innovative solutions to development challenges.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and collaborate with team members.
- Efficient time management to meet project deadlines and deliver high-quality work within specified timelines.
By combining technical proficiency with strong soft skills, web developers can create effective, high-quality web solutions that meet the needs of users and clients.
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Online: Apply On Company WebSite
What education and certification are required to become a Web developer?
Becoming a web developer typically does not strictly require formal education or specific certifications, as the field is known for its emphasis on practical skills and experience. However, many web developers acquire education and certifications to enhance their knowledge and make themselves more competitive in the job market. Here are common paths to becoming a web developer:
1. Formal Education:
Bachelor’s Degree (Optional):
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, software engineering, or a related field is not always required but can provide a solid foundation. Some employers may prefer candidates with a degree.
Associate’s Degree or Diploma Programs:
Shorter programs, such as associate’s degrees or diploma programs from technical schools or community colleges, can also be valuable for learning the basics of web development.
Bootcamps and Online Courses:
Many aspiring web developers choose to attend coding bootcamps or take online courses offered by platforms like Codecademy, Udacity, Coursera, or FreeCodeCamp. These programs often focus on practical skills and real-world projects.
Some individuals opt for self-study, using online resources, tutorials, and documentation to learn web development at their own pace. This approach requires discipline and dedication.
3. Specialized Web Development Certifications:
While not always mandatory, earning certifications can demonstrate proficiency in specific technologies or frameworks. Some relevant certifications include:
Certifications such as Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate can be valuable, especially for those working with Microsoft technologies.
Google Developers Certification:
Google offers certifications like the Associate Android Developer certification, which can be beneficial for developers working with Google technologies.
Certified Web Developer:
Organizations like the World Organization of Webmasters (WOW) offer certifications for web developers. These certifications can vary in scope and focus.
4. Building a Portfolio:
Regardless of the educational path chosen, building a strong portfolio is crucial for showcasing practical skills to potential employers. A portfolio should include examples of projects, code samples, and any relevant work that demonstrates the developer’s abilities.
5. Continuous Learning:
Web development is a dynamic field, and continuous learning is essential. Developers should stay updated on new technologies, frameworks, and best practices. Participation in web development communities, attending conferences, and reading industry blogs are common ways to stay informed.
In summary, the education and certification requirements for becoming a web developer can vary. Some developers find success with a formal degree, while others thrive through self-directed learning or specialized programs. The most important factor is a strong understanding of web development concepts, practical skills, and the ability to adapt to evolving technologies. Building a robust portfolio and staying engaged with the web development community are key elements of a successful web development career.